Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Ready to Mingle

OK, enough with the heavy posts of late...

So I've been waiting (not so patiently) to get back on the horse...

But here are a few problems:

1.  I'm EXTREMELY picky
2.  I live in the suburbs
3.  I'm a dating novice

Possible solutions:
1.  Don't be picky about first dates.  Be picky by the 3rd date (max).
2.  Get out of there!  Go to the city as often as possible.
3.  Seek advice from the more experienced.

So what are ways to meet guys?

I once asked a 65 year old woman this question, and she suggested wine tasting parties.  Chances are you'll meet someone with class, taste and money!

An anonymous friend's version of a list of ways:

  • Salsa/tango lessons - a guy with rhythm, always a plus (but then most ballroom dance classes usually have a short supply of guys - not to mention straight ones) 
  • Soccer/Rugby matches - guy will probably be athletic
  • Social sports clubs (like Zogsports in NYC) - they usually have happy hours for all the teams afterward
  • Rock Climbing
  • Photography class
  • Cooking class - a man who takes charge in the kitchen? be still my heart! (and stomach)
  • Museum Functions - some museums have social clubs that organize social outings centered around new exhibits
  • Coffee shops - Baristas are people too!
  • Political Rallies - Occupy Wall Street - share a tent!
  • Wine Tastings / Beer Gardens - But just like bars and clubs, this is a high risk scene
  • Apartment/house parties - usually very casual and light

I don't think I'm quite ready to try out dating websites.

Another option is being set up on blind dates.  It is pretty key to have someone vouch for a guy's personality...so I am allowing myself to be set up.  This is new territory for me.  Any advice?

One thing is for sure:  I am ready to mingle.

3 comments:

  1. all of the above!! i love the wine tasting idea the best, so much classier/intimate :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you believe in karma? When you have positive energy, people will pick up and your energy will in return attracts positive energy people

    When you are ready to mingle, keep your guy radar on. You can even pick up (or to be picked up) in library or bus stop!!! That's my philosophy - things happen when you are least expected. Keep an open and curious mind - never date for the sake of dating. I think it ruins all the fun

    And most importantly, for the good and the bad, enjoy the ride.

    xoxo

    PS - in case if you don't know, I met M via online website!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the best things happen when you least expect! Speaking from my own experience ;)

    Yes, I will try not to "force" it... but I am truly a novice at dating and right now I am willing to get out there and just meet people without any huge expectations of it developing into something right away. I'm in no rush for a serious relationship right now...though it is definitely something that I really want.

    I'll take it day by day like you said - enjoying the ride :)

    Yes, I did know you met M online! I'm not quite comfortable yet with the idea of setting up a profile for guys to browse and judge me on my looks and interests...(though maybe isn't that what Facebook is about? JK) but I know so many people who have found great people on the websites and have wonderful, healthy relationships that I am very intrigued... just not quite ready to put myself out there like that...yet.

    ReplyDelete